Spring cleaning your home can be a refreshing way to get your nest aired out and spruced up after the close quarters of winter. If your personal project involves a whole house refresh or just a brightening up of a few well-worn areas, here are a few tips that you should keep in mind to help avoid simple strain or a potentially costly trip to the emergency room:
- Stay cool. Stand in front of a fan if necessary. Drink lots of water.
- If moving furniture, remember the basics: lift with the legs or don't lift at all!
- Have a partner when planning to work on ladders and tall step stools.
- Clearly mark wet floors and surfaces.
- Warn people if clutter is present. Clutter can be a dangerous hazard if it accumulates in areas that are normally clear and people don't know to expect obstacles.
- Make multiple trips, and don't lift too much at a time.
- If dusting or using cleaners that require a mask or gloves, wear a mask or gloves!
- Don't leave buckets of liquid in places where they could spill and create a slip-and-fall exposure.
- Properly store all cleaning supplies.
©2014 Selective Ins. Group, Inc. (Branchville, NJ). "Selective" insurers include Selective Ins. Co. of America, Selective Ins. Co. of New England, Selective Ins. Co. of N.Y., Selective Ins. Co. of South Carolina, Selective Ins. Co. of the Southeast, Selective Way Ins. Co., Selective Cas. Ins. Co, Selective Fire and Cas. Ins. Co and Selective Auto Ins. Co. of N.J. Insurers and products available vary by jurisdiction.